I know, during the summer, you either don't care enough about books to find time to actually read, or you just prefer to buy every gossip and fashion magazine from train stations and airports before devouring them, one by one. What does remain untouched is the splendid collection of literary classics, those books you buy for the sake of having them on your shelves, but of which you never actually read past the 9th page. Believe me, go further, let's say, all the way to the 20th page, and you will fall in love. Not fall in love in the same way you'd lust for Diane Kruger's shoes, or that new It Boy on page six, but with the actual book. Yes, the book. Here are some of my favorites, of everyone's favorites. Read them in two months, read them in a day, wet them with your tears, or whatever, just please do read them.
1. L'Amant de Marguerite Duras
2. Lolita by Nabokov
3. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
4. On the Road by Kerouac
5. The Road by Cormac McCarthy
6. L'Ecume des Jours de Boris Vian
7. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
8. Wonderful Today : The Autobiography of Pattie Boyd
9. La vie devant soi de Romain Gary
10. Oscar Wilde's Short Stories
11. Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann
12. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
13. The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
14. Belle du Seigneur d'Albert Cohen
15. Bonjour Tristesse de Françoise Sagan
16. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Fall in love.
Fall in pages.
Photography Credits : Getty Images